PHProjekt Project Management System Resources
PHProjekt is a free project management web application that supports the coordination of group activities, and the sharing of documents and data, via both intranet and internet structures.
Originally developed in the late 1990s, it quickly became one of the more popular examples of collaborative software and has been widely adopted by both public and private enterprises. While the development of PHProjekt ended in 2012, its popularity as an easy to use business management tool is unchanged, and it is freely available as a one-click install from several auto installers and web hosts.
The original version of PHProjekt was written by Albrecht Gunther, who launched the software in the late 1990s to some considerable success. Gunther would continue to refine his project management application, releasing updated iterations over the next few years, until he eventually teamed with the German firm Mayflower GmbH.
Beginning in 2006, Mayflower became the principal developer and distributor of PHProjekt, working closely with Gunther to further refine and expand the software. Mayflower would go on to release several updated iterations of PHProjekt, culminating in version 6.2.1 in 2012. With the release of this latest iteration of the groupware, Mayflower abandoned further development on the project, and PHProjekt exists today as an open source project management systems with plug-ins and patches being developed and released from a variety of independent programmers.
Despite Mayflower's abandonment of the software, PHProjekt remains a popular groupware application and is still included with a number of auto installers including SimpleScripts and Fanastico.
While PHProjekt may have been discontinued, the application's many features and ease of use continue to make it a popular business management application. All that is needed to install and run the latest iterations of PHProjekt is a web server, PHP 5.2.4 (or better) and MySQL 5 (or better). PHProjekt supports a variety of common protocols, including XML/SOAP, LDAP, and WebDAV, and is available for 38 languages and 7 types of databases.
PHProjekt is a modular appealing consisting of more than a dozen components, including the following features:
- Administration: prohibits access to password approved project leaders. Allows administrators to manage groups and projects, assign and monitor tasks, monitor forum activities, create to-do lists and issue project reminders.
- Calendar: supports single or group modes. Administrators can schedule events, assign projects, and create profiles for frequent users and groups. Supports email reminders and SMS notifications.
- Contact Manager: provides a table view of all project members. Administrators can import and export contacts in multiple formats, and sort or filter them by category. Contacts can be kept personal or published to the larger community. The contact manager feature also provides a viewable history of all contacts with related notes and annotations.
- Time Card System: this feature allows administrators working days to projects, note which members are ‘at work' and which members have signed off. PHProjekt's time card system also provides a monthly performance overview of all members.
- Projects: this feature provides a list of all existing projects in an easy to read tree structure. Project leaders can assign duties and due dates, and closely monitor ongoing subprojects. Project progress can be viewed by Gantt diagram, with the project module tracking the status of ongoing assignments.
- Chat: administrators and members can keep in constant contact with each other, even when working from disparate locations. Discussions can be archived for later reference.
- Forum: this feature supplements the Chat module, allowing easy collaboration between team members and project leaders.
- Request Tracker/Help Desk: allows administrators to assign and track project requests. Provides automatic email confirmation for completed requests, and maintains a searchable knowledge base of solved requests.
- Mail Client: PHProjekt's mail client supports multiple accounts, allowing team members to send and receive fax and SMS messages.
- Files: PHProjekt's file component provides easy to use filter and sort functions for all stored files and documents. Administrators can restrict access to any files, and documents can be exported in multiple formats including PDF, Doc, XLS, and XML.
- Search System: a fully integrated search system supports full text search by module, as well as a total site search.
PHProjekt is readily available from a variety of auto installers and web hosts. The application is open source, and free for use and modification by all users. While the application is easy to install, and relatively intuitive in its design, those using the software will benefit from the following online tutorials:
- PHProjekt.com: this was the official website for the project when it was active. This archive snapshot from January, 5 2013 is mostly useful for the forum that contains a lot of useful information.
- Installing PHProjekt with Softaculous in cPanel: this short video explains how to install PHProjekt using the Softaculous install tool in cPanel.
- PHProjekt 6 - User's View: this short video tutorial provides a simple overview of the PHProjekt application with emphasis on user interaction point of view. While the video is far from in depth, it does help first time users familiarize themselves with the application's basic interface and functions. This short tutorial is specific to PHProjekt 6.0.2.
- PHProjekt 6 - How to Create a Module: this short tutorial walks first time users through the process of creating a new module in PHProjekt 6.0.2. The video explains how to create a module, add users, and modify and define codes and templates.
- PHProjekt on Microsoft IIS: published in 2008, this brief guide walks users through the installation and configuration of the PHProjekt groupware application for use with the Microsoft IIS web server. Though somewhat dated, this brief tutorial stills provides useful information to anyone interested in the PHProjekt application.
- PHProjekt User FAQ: while not strictly a tutorial or user's manual, this simple PDF addresses most of the frequently asked questions regarding the PHProjekt application and its many features and functions. First time users of the application should find this guide helpful in exploring all that PHProjekt can bring to project management.
- PHProjekt WikiBook: this is a good, if terse, introduction to the whole system.
While PHProjekt is no longer being developed or maintained by Mayflower GmbH, it still remains popular enough to receive patches and plug-ins from an open source community of professional programmers and enthusiastic hobbyists. It remains free for use or modification, and can be easily downloaded from a variety of web hosts. PHProjekt is a lightweight application, and is typically featured as a one-click install. Competing project management applications may have taken center stage since PHProjekt was discontinued in 2012, but the software continues to be adopted by enterprises looking for an efficient and easy to use project management system.
Further Reading and Resources
We have more guides, tutorials, and infographics related to coding and development:
- MantisBT Introduction and Resources: find out about one of the most popular bug tracking programs.
- Ubuntu Primer: learn all about one of the most popular Linux distributions — an excellent base for any kind of development.
- Object-Oriented Programming: learn about the wide range of object-oriented programming languages — some may surprise you.
Would the Internet Survive the End of the World?
Have you ever wondered what a major catastrophe would do to the internet? Check out our infographic, Would the Internet Survive the End of the World? It's possible we could all be destroyed but the internet would live on.