Pligg Hosting : Compare Hosting
Oops! No Hosting Plans Match Your Search
You've selected a combination of features that none of the web hosts we profile offer. We suggest you remove your last filter or reset & start again.
Ask Our Experts
Need help with your hosting? Tell us exactly what you are looking for and we’ll do our very best to help. Please allow one working day for a response.
Please fill in all fields.
Thanks! Your request has been sent. We'll reply within 24 hours.
Recommended Host for Pligg
What is Pligg Hosting?
Pligg is an Open Source social networking system that allows you to create online communities. WordPress and other content management systems (CMSs) are great for mostly one-way communication. They allow you to build a website or host a blog where you can share posts, and allow readers to comment, if you wish. But even with that kind of communication and exchange, those kinds of sites are, for the most part, broadcasting rather than collaborating.
If you want to create a site built on true sharing, what you're looking for might be a social publishing CMS rather than a traditional CMS. That's what Pligg is â€” an Open Source social publishing system.
Key Pligg Features
- Open Source
- Pligg is Free and Open Source (FAOS) software, which means that all the code is available for inspection, modification, and redistribution. Somewhat unusually, Pligg is released under the Creative Commons (CC BY 3.0) licensed. (This is unusual because that license is more often associated with content, rather than code.)
- Admin Panel
- Pligg offers a centralized admin control panel and dashboard for managing your entire social network. From here you can edit site settings, moderate content, manage users, enable and disable modules, and setup groups.
- Module System
- Pligg provides a rich set of hooks and filters, and a well-documented API, for adding functionality through Modules. Existing Modules provide a wide range of additional features beyond Pligg Core, and anyone can write a new Module to support any special needs.
- Your Pligg site's look and feel is completely in your control through the built-in Smarty Template System. You can customize the colors and options in an existing template, or design one of your own.
- Users can organize themselves into special-interest groups and share content and messages with each other.
- Member Profiles
- Site users can share biographical information, activity history, images, and other content on their own customizable profile page.
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- URLs for content can be optimized to be Search Engine friendly, and metadata is fully customizable.
- Advanced Commenting
- Users can comment on content. And comment on comments. And comment on comment comments. They can also vote on content and comments. Comment threads can be organized chronologically (conversation view)or based on vote count (best answer view).
- Internationalization and Localization
- Pligg is fully internationalized, storing UI strings in configurable language files. It is already localized for most of the world's users, containing translations into Arabic, Catalan, Chinese, English, French, German, Italian, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, and Turkmen.
RSS Feeds : Users can subscribe to receive content via RSS for reading in their own RSS Reader. Feeds are extremely granular, allowing users to individually subscribe to voting activity, content submissions, commenting, news, or individual categories.
Pligg's core functionality can be extended by the use of third-party or custom-built modules. The system has a number of great modules for it already, and anyone can create a new one. To get a sense of what modules can accomplish, here are some of the more popular ones.
- Status Updates
- This module allows users to write short status messages and share them with other users, similar to Facebook and Twitter.
- XML Sitemaps
- Sitemaps are a key SEO (Search Engine Optimization) feature, as they tell search engines how to efficiently index your site. This module adds XML Sitemaps to your Pligg site.
- Twitter Module
- The Twitter Module lets users log in with their Twitter account, and post to the Twitter feeds automatically.
- Facebook Module
- With the Facebook module, users can log in and register with their Facebook account, import profile details, invite friends to join, and auto-post updates to their own feed.
- Anonymous Mode
- Allow users to protect their privacy by enabling anonymous posting, commenting, and voting.
- Keep spam and vandalism at bay with a human verification system. The CAPTCHA module supports four different Captcha services.
- Private Messaging
- The Private Messaging module allows users to connect and communicate with each other privately.
The requirements for running Pligg are supported by most web hosts (though you should always check):
- Apache Web Server
- PHP 5.x +
- MySQL 5.x +
Many web hosts provide one-click installation support for Pligg from their administration control panel.
Shared hosting will work fine for testing and development purposes, and for small communities. If you anticipate a very large community of people using your Pligg-powered social networking site, you will probably want to upgrade to (at a minimum) a Virtual Private Server (VPS) hosting plan.