TUTOS Hosting : Compare Hosting
Oops! No Hosting Plans Match Your Search
You've selected a combination of features that none of the web hosts we profile offer. We suggest you remove your last filter or reset & start again.
Ask Our Experts
Need help with your hosting? Tell us exactly what you are looking for and we’ll do our very best to help. Please allow one working day for a response.
Please fill in all fields.
Thanks! Your request has been sent. We'll reply within 24 hours.
Recommended Host for TUTOS
What Is TUTOS?
TUTOS, or The Ultimate Team Organization Software, is a project management and team collaboration web application. It consists of a set of components that meet the day-to-day needs of project management and software development. TUTOS is free open source software released under the GNU General Public License (GPL). As of April 2015, the latest version of TUTOS was 1.9.2 released on December 28, 2012.
TUTOS Project Management
Project Management (PM) software is the organizational heart and soul of any business that want to get things done on time and under budget. There are many excellent subscription PM services available, but these can be expensive and could mean an indefinite commitment. And if you decide to move to another platform in the future, you may encounter problems when trying to export your data. Something else to consider is that commercial applications may not have all the features you are looking for or, if they do, they’re available at a premium price. This is often the case with so-called free cloud applications.
TUTOS is free open source software that runs on and works with other free open source software. Even better, it is a one-stop shop for all your project management and team collaboration needs. From scheduling, email, and time tracking to configuration management, bug tracking, and scrum mastering, TUTOS has a tool for every aspect of the job.
Features of TUTOS
TUTOS consists of a set of core components and supporting features:
- Teams and groups
- individual and group calendars
- invitation by email
- event voting
- display of required resources and related projects
- Address manager
- entries for people, departments, and companies
- multiple locations (office, on the road, home)
- role-based links to related projects
- Bug tracking system
- maintains bug lists for products, time ranges, tasks, and installations
- tracks bug class, status, history, time, and other statistics
- generates links to and from products/projects
- notifies users of changes through email and watchlists
- Product/Project repository
- Task management - tracks states, times, work volume
- Document management - versioning, locking, change history
- Installation management - tracks installation time
- multiple user roles and project relations
- support for POP and IMAP
- association with users or projects
- Time tracking system
- track time on projects, bugs, and installations
- export to Excel or CSV
- Inventory tracking
- Multilingual (18+ languages)
- Theme, layout, and field customization
- Fine-grained permission management
How Do I Install TUTOS?
Some hosts provide one-click installations of TUTOS through installation wizards control panels. If you prefer, you can download the software from tutos.org or sourceforge.net and install it manually using FTP. However, you may not want to go this route unless you have done manual installations before. If you do decide to go with the manual install, talk to your provider first about any particular requirements.
Pros and Cons of TUTOS
- Complete set of features to support project/product management and software development
- No need for add-ons such as calendar, address book, time management or invoicing
- Free and open source
- Relatively easy to install
- May have more features than you want or need
- May use older technology (last release in 2012)
- Limited support for platforms and configurations
- Less help and support than other comparable applications
Points to Consider
TUTOS itself is free and should not affect your hosting package if it is a standard one. But as your repository grows in number of projects and teams, so will the demand for storage space. Your shared hosting plan should accommodate this growth without incurring overage fees. But if space needs outgrow the shared hosting model, your host may ask you to upgrade.
There is no question that TUTOS is a powerful and full-featured application. However, it does have some limitations you should consider. The first of these is that it has had no new development since 2012. Another is that, unlike other applications, TUTOS does not have the full backing of a developer and support community.
Perhaps the constraint with the biggest impact is the limited choice of platforms and configurations. The creator of TUTOS strongly recommends running the software only on Linux and using only MySQL or PostgreSQL. In comparison, Redmine runs on several flavors of Unix as well as on Windows and Mac OS X.
If you are looking for a one-stop shop for all your project management and collaboration needs, TUTOS is a smart choice. If you are looking for a simpler and lighter application that supports very specific functions, you are better off looking at some of the alternatives.
There are many hosted project management applications to choose from. One obvious alternative is Redmine, which has many of the same features but with the backing of an impressive development and support community. Other alternatives are PHProjekt, phpCollab, dotProject, PHP Groupware, SharePoint, and Trac.
TUTOS Server Requirements
TUTOS requires Apache Web Server, Postgre SQL or MySQL or Oracle or Firebird databases, and PHP Hypertext Preprocessor (version 5 or higher).