A DMCA takedown notice is a notification to either a web hosting company or a search engine that they are either hosting or linking to copyright-infringing material. It provides them notice to remove the copyrighted works. Web hosts are required to remove or disable access to the material, while search engines have to stop linking to it.
Your questions about the Digital Millenium Copyright Act and our DMCA takedown service answered.
What is a 'DMCA takedown notice' or 'DMCA request'?
Who will file my DMCA complaint?
Your DMCA request will be handled by DMCA.com.
How long does the DMCA takedown process take?
DMCA.com have a team working 24/7, although the timing depends on how responsive the host in question is. Search engines, especially Google, can take up to 10 working days to respond to DMCA complaints.
Can't I do a DMCA takedown request myself?
Yes, but the DMCA has strict requirements that must be met for the notice to be valid. Furthermore, the notice has to be sent to the correct party to be actioned. The means contacting the correct person at the correct web host.
One minor mistake can mean severe delays in getting your copyrighted content removed.
What copyrighted material can you have removed?
All types of copyrighted content can be removed, including:
- Text (including Word. Doc documents, plain text etc)
- Video (including MPG, AVI, RM, MOV, Quicktime, Windows Media Player, RealPlayer)
- Music & audio (including MP3, MP4, MIDI, WMA, WAV)
- Images, pictures & photos (Including JPG / JPEG, GIF, PNG, PSD & more)
- MySpace / FaceBook pictures
Provided the content can be copyrighted and infringed online, it can be removed using a DMCA request.
Can you remove content from filesharing sites?
Most file sharing websites do respect DMCA notices and takedown procedure, even if they are not hosted in the US. This includes Rapidshare and Megaupload. We can file notices with them, if required.
I'm not based in the US. Can I still use a DMCA notice?
Absolutely. Due to international treaties, what's important is where the server is located, rather than where you are based. So long as the server is in a country that has a notice and takedown system, including the United States and any EU country, we can file a notice on your behalf.
Do you offer a money-back guarantee?
We offer a 100% money-back guarantee. If you are not satisfied with our DMCA service, simply contact us within 30 days for a full refund.
When can you not help?
Sadly, there are some cases where the DMCA can not help. The most common are:
1. Copyright is not being infringed
2.The site infringing your copyright is not hosted in a notice and takedown country.
In the second case, we can file with the search engines on your behalf. We review all submissions to ensure they comply with the law before moving forward and will offer a full & prompt refund if we believe we cannot help with the case.
If your question is not answered here, simply contact us to discuss your situation. We'll do everything we can to help.
- What is a 'DMCA takedown notice'?
- Who will file my DMCA complaint?
- How long does the DMCA process take?
- Can't I do a DMCA takedown request myself?
- What copyrighted material can you have removed?
- Who will file my DMCA complaint?
- Can you remove content from filesharing sites?
- I'm not based in the US. Can I still use a DMCA notice?
- How long does a DMCA request take?
- Do you work with adult content?
- Do you offer a money-back guarantee?
- What information do you require to file a DMCA takedown notice?
- When can you not help?