The Best ExpressionEngine Hosting: Who’s The Best For Your Site? [Updated: 2019]
What is ExpressionEngine?
ExpressionEngine is a premium content management system (CMS) developed and distributed by EllisLab of Bend, OR. ExpressionEngine is written in PHP and uses a MySQL database. This means that nearly all hosting providers can support its deployment.
ExpressionEngine is designed around the idea that a CMS shouldn’t make assumptions about the type of site you want to build. This makes ExpressionEngine ideal for out-of-the-box sites that aren’t as easily rendered in mainstream content management systems.
What is unique about ExpressionEngine?
ExpressionEngine is incredibly feature rich. From publishing tools and typography flexibility, to spam deterrents and security features, ExpressionEngine is packed with features that will enable you to create a secure and polished site that does exactly what you want it to do, and to do it all without having to get your hands too dirty digging through loads of code.
ExpressionEngine includes all of the tools and features you would expect out of a content management system, and then some. Some of the most noteworthy ExpressionEngine features include:
- A powerful templating and modeling engine. ExpressionEngine doesn’t predefine the type of content you’ll have on your site (such as WordPress’ posts, pages, and comments). You define the type of content your site will have, and then create the templates you want to display it.
- A flexible and powerful email management platform. Send out email newsletters right from your ExpressionEngine admin panel without the need for a dedicated mail server.
- Complete control of commenting systems including membership, moderation, expiration, and pagination (long lists of comments split between multiple pages).
- Sophisticated typography tools including automatic conversion of copied-and-pasted MS Word content into HTML syntax.
- Robust site statistics so you can respond to the way users are navigating to and through your site.
- A built in database manager including a database backup utility.
- Extensive security features such as captcha, secure form processing, IP/Email banning, and word censoring.
- Website membership registration and management functions for complete control and moderation of member activity.
- 22 add-ons and over 100 available plugins (including some eCommerce plugins) to extend the functionality of your ExpressionEngine site.