The Best FormMail Hosting⚙ Filter Results
Oops! No Hosting Plans Match Your Search
You've selected a combination of features that none of the web hosts we profile offer. We suggest you remove your last filter or reset & start again.
Ask Our Experts
Need help with your hosting? Tell us exactly what you are looking for and we’ll do our very best to help. Please allow one working day for a response.
Please fill in all fields.
Thanks! Your request has been sent. We'll reply within 24 hours.
Recommended Host for FormMail
What Is FormMail Hosting?
FormMail is an open source CGI script that can be remotely hosted for automating email delivery after site visitors complete web forms. The software has been used on websites since 1997 and has been downloaded over 3 million times since its release.
Features Of FormMail
If you determine you need to host FormMail on your website in order to process visitor information submitted via web forms into an email, here are some features you can expect to benefit from once you implement it.
- Unlimited use on on HTML forms
- Unlimited length of content in form fields
- Send form results to multiple recipients
- Protection of your email address from SPAM or site visitors
- User redirection to any result URL
- Prevention from duplicate submissions
- Sample forms and template customization
- File upload and attachment with email delivery
- Results storage and archives with CSV and XML formatting
- Technical support
Do You Need To Remotely Host FormMail For Your Website?
Ultimately, the answer to this question lies in how your website is currently configured. Most commonly used content management systems today either have the FormMail script integrated into their coding, include a variant of FormMail, or can have an extension/module/plugin added to its core functionality to recreate the features of FormMail. Most popular web scripting languages also include a variant of FormMail, too, which should limit the number of websites out there today that will require a dedicated script which will require hosting.
With all of that said, if you have previously used FormMail, you should be able to continue to use it with very few changes to your current website configurations - even if you are switching hosting providers.
Also, if you decide to remotely host your FormMail script directly at FormMail.com, your hosting provider and their platform should have little to no impact on your ability to use the script.
A History Of FormMail
The FormMail script was originally created in June 1995. Below is a detailed history of the evolution of FormMail on a version-by-version basis.
- Version 1.0 - June 1995 - the original release of the script.
- Version 1.1 - August 1995 - major hole in the script was noted and corrected.
- Version 1.2 - September 1995 - printing of special fields was removed from both the mail message and from printing on the user’s screen to prevent unnecessary duplication of form fields.
- Versions 1.3 and 1.4 - January 1996 - In 1.3, 11 form fields added, a security hole was patched, and visual enhancements to report styles were implemented. Two days later, 1.4 added two more form field options, addressed a bug with the link_colors field, and included support for GET and POST methods.
- Version 1.5 - February 1996 - field sorting in the emails was fixed and the print_config option was added.
- Version 1.6 - May 1997 - default field sorting was fixed to present information submitted in the email in the same order as it appeared in the HTML form. Form line breaks, extra spaces and form fields that weren’t completed could now be suppressed from the email, and fields only printed if they contained a value. Redirects were added to correct issues with https connections and to send users who didn’t complete a form to a pre-made page. Email addresses could also now be checked for correct syntax if they were a required field. Additional code optimization was also completed.
- Version 1.7 - July 2001 - Additions were made to defeat spam attempts and to allow admins to specify what variables can be sent.
- Version 1.8 and 1.9 - August 2001 - One week after 1.7 was released, 1.8 addressed the recipients code to prevent spam from getting through if a legit user was added to a list of spam victims. Code optimization was made after users reported their servers would kill FormMail and no email would be sent. The day after 1.8 was issued, anti-spam checks were added and restrictions when checking for email address validity were removed.
- Version 1.9+ - April 2002 to July 2009 - In Version 1.91, additional vulnerability patches were made to email and realname fields, stronger expression checking was implemented, options were added to the form so single periods on a line will not cause the end of the message. Version 1.92 came a few days later and removed cross-site scripting vulnerabilities and null bytes while also fixing multiple field recognitions. Seven years later, 1.93 also removed cross-site scripting and header injection vulnerabilities.
Final Thoughts On FormMail Hosting
As mentioned above, the FormMail script or an equivalent is likely built in to the scripting language of your content management system. However, if you are using an older website format and require dedicated hosting of FormMail, the script is still readily available and can be implemented when necessary.
We highly recommend you consult with your hosting provider or with expert members in your content management system’s community to determine if a dedicated FormMail script is something you will require for your chosen website platform.
FormMail Hosting Frequently Asked Questions
Who is the ideal FormMail user?
This tool is ideal for anybody who wants to capture information from a visitor to their website and subsequently forward the details to one or more email address. It can be used by individuals, as well as business websites of all sizes.
How simple is it to use FormMail?
Basic and advanced users alike find it simple to implement FormMail.
Are there any potential problems associated with the use of FormMail?
Just the same as most competitors, FormMail has run into issues in the past with security holes. This allows spammers to target email accounts on the host server. As a result, this can bog down the user’s hosting account, as well as the server of the hosting company. As a product currently in development, FormMail is always being updated to fight spam.
Are there any alternatives to FormMail?
There are many services that provide a similar result. This is particularly true for WordPress users, as there are a variety of free and paid plugins that can be implemented, such as Jetpack’s Contact Form Module, Contact Form 7, and Fast Secure Contact Form among others. Users are encouraged to learn more about the finer details, advantages, and disadvantages of each script or plugin to guarantee they find the right one.
How much does it cost to download and install FormMail?
As an open source CGI script, it is free to use FormMail. Once it is downloaded, the user can install the script on their server and begin using it on as many websites as they want.
How long has FormMail been providing users with this service?
FormMail has been around since 1997. Over the years, it has been downloaded more than three million times, making it one of the most popular contact form scripts of all time.
What are the primary features of FormMail?
There are many features associated with FormMail, with some more popular than others. These include: no programming knowledge necessary, copy and past examples, option to create unlimited forms, block duplicate results, no ads on the form, no ads on the results page, compatible with most existing web forms, and features to protect your inbox from spam.
Does FormMail offer CAPTCHA spam blocking?
Yes. This is a feature that can be implemented. It has been proven effective in helping FormMail stop spam from reaching user’s email accounts.
Can you customize FormMail?
As an open source script, you can do whatever you want with FormMail in terms of customization. This often leads developers to use the script as a base for building a contact form that suits their site’s requirements.
Does FormMail offer a paid service?
Yes. For those who want to take their use of FormMail to the next level, there are many paid services to consider. These include: FormMail 100, FormMail 300, FormMail 1000, FormMail 3000, FormMail 10000, and FormMail 100000. By paying for the service, users get a higher level of features and support. For example, all of these packages provide the ability to send results to multiple recipients, support techs available to answer any questions or concerns, and ability to redirect users to any URL. The cost of the most expensive service package, FormMail 100000, is $49.95 per month or $499.95 per year.
What type of support does FormMail provide users?
If you have an installation question, it is often best to consult with your hosting company. They can provide information related to an issue on their end. If you require support for FormMail, you can learn more by visiting its official website. It is here that you can read through frequently asked questions while also contacting the company via its own web form. Users are asked to wait between one and two days for a response.
What can FormMail do for users who are receiving a high volume of spam messages?
This continues to be a problem in today’s world, but FormMail provides a variety of tools to fight against this. Form processing rules allow you to stop the same computer or browser from submitting more than one form over a predetermined period of time. Spam blocker can also be activated, requiring users to type in a word on the form before their message is sent. This helps prevent the submission of automated spam messages.
What are the technical requirements for running FormMail?
If you are using a content management system, check with the provider to see if FormMail, or a similar script or plugin, is available. For those who want to use FormMail, it can be installed and used on most servers and hosting plans. It is good practice to verify this with your hosting company before attempting to install the script.