Kloxo Control Panel vs cPanel Control Panel
|Open-source with a free software license.
||Closed-source, proprietary software.
|Does not support plugins.
|Can only be used on Linux.
||Primarily used on Linux but a version exists that can be used on Windows.
|Less user-friendly and polished than the popular cPanel.
||cPanel is more user-friendly and feature-rich.
Not a lot of information available online in terms of help resources.
Since cPanel is a more popular control panel it will have much more documentation.
Advanced Features Available Only For Kloxo Enterprise
Below you will find exclusive features included in Kloxo Enterprise. This is the paid version of Kloxo.
- The ability to view, search and manage your entire hosting platform from a single page.
- Advanced intrusion detection management
- apache/lighttpd, djbdns/bind and pure-ftpd support
- Application switches that can be completed “on the fly”
- Scalable to one million hits per day
- Advanced backup and restore
- Parked and redirected domains
- Integrated Ruby on Rails
Kloxo As A Platform For Reseller Hosting
For Linux-based hosting providers looking to scale their service offerings, Kloxo includes the ability to enable hosting reseller programs. For hosting platforms that scale at a fast rate, Kloxo also enables its users to upgrade from HostInABox to Enterprise without reinstalling the softwares.
Hosting resellers also have the ability to offer the following features to their clients:
- Change banners for custom reseller hosting platforms
- Enable Frontpage
- Enable SSL
- Offer web server, mail server, DNS server, database server, and IP address pooling
- Exclusive IP addresses
Kloxo Server Requirements
The most recent release of Kloxo has the following three server requirements:
- Dedicated or virtual servers running CentOS or Red Hat EL 5.x.
- Minimum 256 MB RAM (need to be able to run Yum).
- At least 2 GB of free disk space for Kloxo and its related services.
Keep in mind that if you partitioned your disks manually, you are going to need to have a large /tmp. Kloxo uses /tmp to create and store temp backups. Without a large /tmp, this process is sure to fail.
Most managed hosting accounts, such as manages VPS and dedicated servers, or shared web hosting, will include the cPanel control panel. In this case, there’s no reason to use Kloxo. If, however, you’ve been using Kloxo on an unmanaged VPS or dedicated server and you want to switch to cPanel, most web hosts will be able to help you out with that.
Kloxo Server Installation
As of October 2017, the Kloxo control panel is no longer maintained and remains with some issues. In fact, the Kloxo website is now offline. This is likely due to the lack of developers willing to work on the project, ultimately leading to the open-source software’s demise. If you’re looking to use Kloxo, you can still grab a Kloxo installation from GitHub. But just be aware that you will need technical knowledge to conduct the installation.
Pros and Cons of Kloxo
Pros of Choosing Kloxo
- Kloxo is open-source software which means it’s free to use.
- Was once a serious contender for cPanel.
Cons of Choosing Kloxo
- A lack of developers means that the control panel is vastly forgotten and in danger of dying out completely.
- Kloxo is no longer maintained, meaning that problems with the software will not be fixed.
- There isn’t a lot of documentation or help resources available for using the control panel.
- The Kloxo website is no longer online which makes it more difficult to find resources about the software.
- Navigating the Kloxo control panel isn’t as intuitive as alternative control panels.
Final Thoughts On Kloxo Hosting
There are many open source control panels on the market – but not as many that integrate directly with Red Hat and CentOS. Kloxo’s unique integration capabilities – coupled with its scalability and feature-rich installations for hosting resellers – make it a very attractive option for businesses looking for a place to host their own open source platform for reseller hosting.
Because of the customization that might be needed to properly deploy Kloxo, we suggest contacting your hosting provider prior to installation just to make sure both parties are prepared. This will make the process much smoother for all involved.
But now that Kloxo is no longer being maintained, you may want to think twice before using it as your control panel.
Other features in Control Panels
About Toni Allen
Webmaster, mom, juggler. Toni manages the day-to-day operations of WhoIsHostingThis. She is a keen hiker, climber, and outdoors explorer.