The Best vtiger Hosting: Who’s The Best For Your Site? [Updated: 2018]
What is Vtiger?
Vtiger is an open-source CRM (customer relationship management) software tool for managing and optimizing your business’s marketing, sales, and customer support activities.
Vtiger’s seamless integration with your hosting platform and content management system creates a fluid and intuitive experience.
The system makes it easy to obtain actionable insight about your customers and to automate repeated tasks.
Web Hosting and Vtiger
Some web hosting companies provide hosting plans with Vtiger already installed, giving you an easy way to manage your customer database and optimize your sales and marketing activities.
In this article, you’ll learn about hosting requirements for Vtiger and how to choose a good web host for it.
What is CRM Software?
Have you ever looked into building an online presence from a business perspective? Then you already know how ubiquitous and essential CRM programs are in order to keep your customer information centralized, secure, and well-organized.
A CRM is, at its most basic, a database of information about your customers, prospects, and leads.
Business owners and sales teams find CRMs indispensable for organizing and managing their customer data.
Functions of CRM software
The features and capabilities of different CRMs can vary widely. With most CRM programs, you can do 5 things:
- Digitize your customer’s contact information
- Track your customers’ clicks on your website
- Automatically record each customer’s purchase and account history
- Facilitate smoother communication between you, your staff, and your customers
- Track potential leads or prospective customers
And those are just the basics. A more advanced CRM like Vtiger provides plenty of other features to help you get your business more organized and systematized.
Benefits of Using Vtiger CRM
The simplest reason for choosing Vtiger for your CRM needs is that it’s free and open-source.
But just because it’s free doesn’t mean it lacks in features.
Vtiger goes beyond the fundamentals by offering highly advanced features comparable to premium CRM solutions.
Using Vtiger, you can:
- Design sleek, professional portals for customers to view records and request customer service
- Manage projects associated with customers, and assign tasks to individuals or groups
- Plan tasks and events with a built-in calendar with customizable visibility
- Track inventory and create purchase orders for your e-commerce site
- Integrate with business staples such as Microsoft Outlook and Mozilla Thunderbird with easy-to-install plugins.
What is the Vtiger “CRM On Demand” Service?
But if you’re not the DIY type, or if you just want to save time so you can focus on running your business instead of taking care of technical stuff, a premium version with professional support might be the right choice for you.
There is a paid version of Vtiger, called Vtiger CRM On Demand, that includes additional features and comprehensive support. This is a cloud-based, hosted service that doesn’t require installing the software on your own server.
The on-demand version offers bonus features like email campaigns with built-in analytics, Paypal integration, and advanced reporting, and starts at $12 per month.
Vtiger is used by tens of thousands of businesses and has a vibrant community where you can get support for any questions or issues you may have.
There’s plenty of documentation, plus forums and an official wiki to get you started.
Vtiger Installation Requirements
Vtiger is usually installed on a LAMP stack. (Haven’t heard of a LAMP stack? No problem. Check out my definition here.)
The pre-requisites for Vtiger are:
Furthermore, browser support is currently as follows:
|Internet Explorer||7,8 and 9|
|Firefox||3.6, 5.0 and 7.0|
Vtiger CRM Installation Guide
There are a number of ways in which you can install Vtiger CRM software.
The Vtiger installation is insanely simple.
Though most web hosts will include it as a one-click install, if you have to do so manually you won’t have any problems.
Here are some steps to get you started. If you need more guidance, check out the Vtiger installation guide on their website.
- You can download Vtiger from their source forge page.
- Once you’ve reached the page, click Files.
- Now, click to download the latest version of Vtiger.
- You’ll need to create a database to store the Vtiger files. Log into your cPanel account and click on MySQL Databases. Create a new database from here.
- Now, go to the file manager in your cPanel account. Click the upload button to browse for the Vtiger files that you’ve downloaded. Once the files are uploaded, you’ll need to extract them.
- Once the files are unzipped, go here: http://www.yourdomain.com/vtigercrm (replace “yourdomain” with your actual domain name).
- You will be met with the Vtiger install wizard which will help you complete the installation. And you’re done!
VTiger Points to Remember
Here’s a short summary list of the most important points about Vtiger.
Some web hosting providers have hosting plans with Vtiger already installed for you.
Since Vtiger software is free, the software itself shouldn’t affect the price of your hosting plan.
But if your host offers dedicated support for Vtiger, or offers other features or services such as transferring your data from other CRMs, it may cost a bit more than basic hosting plans.
You can install Vtiger yourself using cPanel if your server meets the minimum requirements for the software.
Some hosts will have a one-click installation option available using SimpleScripts.
This is a great option for a free CRM solution if you’re technically inclined and don’t mind spending a bit of time on maintenance and upgrades.
Operating System Compatibility
Whether you use Linux, Windows, or Mac as your web hosting platform, Vtiger can be effortlessly incorporated into your hosting system so you can start fostering better relationships with your customers today.
What are the Pros and Cons of Vtiger?
As with most software. there are both pros and cons to using Vtiger. Here are some of the basic ones.
Assessment is truly dependent on your business objectives though.
There are many positive reasons to use Vtiger including:
- Vtiger is an open-source CRM which means it’s free and available to anyone
- The CRM application is highly adaptable
- There is loads of support out there for the application
- Vtiger is fairly simple to use and has an easily customizable interface
- Most web hosting providers include Vtiger already installed on your account
However, there are also some drawbacks including:
- Installing Vtiger manually is fairly simple, but people who are not technically inclined may run into some difficulties
- The release of new editions of the software is slower than with alternative CRMs such as Sugar CRM
My Top 3 Vtiger Host Recommendations
Below I’ve shared a few personal picks for Vtiger hosts.
Similarly to the pros and cons of Vtiger, the below is entirely dependant on your business’ or website’s need for what Vtiger has to offer. I hope these help you in your search for a suitable host.
If you’re looking for Vtiger hosting, check out SiteGround. They include a free Vtiger install or a free Vtiger site transfer of your existing website.
SiteGround’s servers are optimized for hosting CMS and CRM systems, so they will run your Vtiger site effortlessly.
TMD Hosting provides some cheaper Vtiger hosting options.
With a 99.99% uptime guarantee, you can be sure that your website will enjoy some of the best uptime in the industry.
Whether you have an existing Vtiger website or you’re starting a new one, TMD will help you out.
Enjoy immediate Vtiger activation and a free installation by a specialist, or a free zero-downtime transfer.
You’ll also be able to host the CRM application with A2 Hosting.
They include the Softaculous script installer for a simple automatic installation of Vtiger.
They’ll even notify you when a new Vtiger version is available to install, which you can update with a single click from your control panel.
If you’re looking for the fastest hosting, you may want to try A2’s Turbo servers which are available on a higher-priced plan.