Armor Hosting: Protecting The Cloud From Bad Guys?
Armor, formerly known as FireHost, is an independently owned and operated cloud-hosting service with branches in North America and Europe. Founded in 2009 by Chris Drake, FireHost set themselves apart from many of their competitors by focusing on delivering enhanced security in the cloud.
Over the years Drake and his team have enjoyed a number of firsts within the industry. In 2011 FireHost was the first to launch a fully PCI compliant cloud hosting platform, and in 2014 Drake’s firm was the first in their field to be certified HITRUST compliant. In 2015 FireHost changed their name to Armor, to better reflect an expansion beyond the borders of secured cloud hosting and into security-as-a-service for third party cloud hosting environments and business IT infrastructures.
Today, Armor continues to offer secured cloud hosting for new and existing clients, as well as providing data security and state of the art cyber defense for a wider market.
A Proactive Approach to Cyber Defense
Armor’s proactive approach to cyber defense is squarely focused on outcome, with the ultimate goals of blocking cyber threats, defeating attacks, and mitigating the security risk of their clients. For Armor, it’s about more than simply supplying customers with a suite of security tools to be pressed into service after a breach.
To enjoy the highest level of security in the cloud, enterprises (both public and private) need a team of experienced security professionals to analyze threat data, identify attack vectors, and implement security measures in real time. Unfortunately, it is not always possible, or practical, for businesses to employ an IT staff whose sole purpose is to maintain data security. With that in mind, Armor developed their three pronged approach to cyber security:
- Keeping Ahead of the Kill Chain — Analyzing data from more than 50 global sources allows Armor’s team to identify new threat vectors, test new security measures, and reduce incident response times.
- Reducing Dwell Time — Hackers need time to work, and the longer they can remain unobserved in a cloud environment the greater opportunity they have to effect a breach. Armor employs multiple layers of security protocols, combined with real time intelligence and defense measures, to achieve dwell time averages that are 100 time lower than the industry average.
- Maintaining a Secure Posture — Every user that interacts with a cloud environment influences it, and those changes can lead to vulnerabilities which can be exploited by hackers and cyber criminals. Armor’s real time monitoring and management ensures that security configurations remain at peak performance levels.
Looks like we don’t have any reviews for Armor yet.
Service and Specs
Armor offers two basic service options for their customers. The first, Armor Complete, is an all-in-one turn-key hosting solution for enterprises handling critical and sensitive data. The second service package, Armor Anywhere, is designed to provide state of the art security solutions for third-party cloud environments and customer-owned IT infrastructures. The one factor common to both is Armor’s emphasis on cloud security, which is backed by a 200+ staff of former military and IT security professionals.
- Armor Complete — This all-in-one hosting platform delivers enhanced security via Armor’s proprietary closed loop Virtual Private Cloud (VPC). Armor Complete is a fully managed hosting service, employing multiple security levels to keep critical data safe from cyber threats. While the emphasis is squarely on cloud security, there is no sacrifice of performance. Armor Complete promises 100% guaranteed up-time and network speeds of 20Gbps. Data centers in Dallas, Phoenix, Amsterdam, London, and Singapore allow Armor to offer industry leading services on a global scale.
- Armor Anywhere — In addition to offering managed cloud hosting services, Armor now provides security-as-a-service for third-party clouds and privately owned IT infrastructures. 24/7 security is provided through Armor’s Security Operations Center, focusing on malware protection, log and event management, patch monitoring, file integrity monitoring, and custom external vulnerability scans. Armor Anywhere is designed to supplement the customer’s raw IT and/or cloud infrastructure, creating a more secure environment for critical data workloads. Armor Anywhere supports a variety of operating systems, including Windows Server 2012, Amazon Linux, Ubuntu, and CentOS.
Expert Support 24/7
Armor’s support staff consists of more than 200 experts in the field of cyber security. Clients are paired with a dedicated systems manager, ensuring that future contact and concerns can be handled by a representative with first hand knowledge of the account and its specifics. In addition to the routine management and monitoring of all accounts, technical support is available 24/7 via ticket, phone, or live online chat. Clients with unique security objectives can call on Armor’s in-house staff to receive additional advice and support.
A Secure Cloud for All
Chris Drake’s mission has remained largely unchanged since he first founded FireHost in 2009, and that is to establish a more secure data environment for his company’s clients and the customers they serve. Armor takes the FireHost team’s experience managing a secure VPC network and makes it available to a wider market. The firm continues to offer cloud hosting services that not only meet, but exceed, current industry standards. Now, as Armor moves into the security-as-a-service arena they are offering their defense expertise to business owners with privately owned IT infrastructures, as well as those who are relying on third-party clouds to manage their critical data workloads.
With a consistent track record of 250 million successfully blocked cyber attacks per month and a confirmed 35:1 strike ratio, Armor continues to fulfill Drake’s original mission statement — to effectively stand between his company’s clients and all active cyber threats.
Armor Frequently Asked Questions
- Is Armor Complete a fully managed service?
Yes. Armor Complete is an all-in-one cloud hosting service. Accounts are customized to suit the client’s specific requirements, and are fully managed by an on-site team of experts. A dedicated manager is assigned to each client for exclusive personal support.
- Do Armor’s datacenters feature on-site monitoring and maintenance?
Armor operates 5 independently owned datacenters, with locations in Phoenix, Dallas, Singapore, London, and Amsterdam. All of Armor Defense’s datacenters are monitored and maintained on-site by highly trained staff. Armor’s datacenters are secured by both on-site and remote monitoring personnel.
- Will Armor handle the full migration of an existing website and all proprietary data?
Yes. Total migration of all proprietary data is provided for new clients adopting Armor Complete for their cloud hosting and security services.
- How long does it take to deploy my service?
In most cases, service can be deployed within 24 hours of verified payment from the client.
- Does Armor guarantee up-time performance?
Armor offers an end-to-end infrastructure up-time guarantee of 99.99%. In the event Armor fails to meet its 99.99% guaranteed, customers may apply for a service credit commensurate with the experienced downtime.
- How will I be notified concerning scheduled maintenance?
Armor notifies all clients of upcoming scheduled instance of maintenance which may impact performance. Notification is given 14 days prior to any maintenance via the customer’s My Armor support portal.
- What cloud environments are compatible with the Armor Anywhere service?
Armor Anywhere is compatible with most third-party cloud environments, including Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud Platform, and Microsoft Azure. Armor Anywhere can provide full security services for most private and hybrid clouds, as well as for customer-owned IT infrastructures.
- What operating systems are compatible with Armor Anywhere?
Armor Anywhere supports the following operating systems:
* Amazon Linux
* Windows Server
- Does Armor Anywhere provide managed protection?
Yes. Armor Anywhere is a managed security service. Customers receive 24/7 security with managed malware protection, patch monitoring, log and event monitoring, and file integrity monitoring.
- Does Armor require a long-term contract?
Armor’s services are provided on a 12 month contract with an option for automatic renewals.
- What is Armor’s Cancellation Policy?
Customers wishing to cancel their service must notify Armor no less 30 days prior to the intended date of cancellation. Failure to notify Armor within the specified time frame will result in the customer being billed for a further month of service.
- How Will I Be Billed for My Service?
Customers are billed on a monthly basis, with payments due on the date of invoice. Accounts more than 28 days overdue will be subject to additional fees and penalties. Accounts who are deemed chronically late in their payment schedule may be required to provide a deposit to Armor in order to maintain their service.
- What level of technical support is provided?
Armor provides 24/7 technical support for all of their clients. Support may be accessed via phone, service ticket, or live chat via the customer’s My Armor Support Portal.