Last updated: December 28, 2018
iWeb In 2018: What Do iWeb Client Reviews Say?
Founded in 1996, iWeb is an established hosting provider based in Montreal, Canada. It was originally called Formation et Technologies Formatek and offered a range of services; the company refocused on web hosting between 1998 and 1999.
The company was privatised in 2011 and provides shared hosting services under another brand name, Funio. In terms of specialities, iWeb is focused solely on dedicated and ‘smart servers’, a modified form of dedicated server hosting.
With four data centres, 200 staff, 21,000 customers and 35,000 servers, iWeb claims to be one of the biggest providers of web hosting services in Canada.
iWeb Hosting Plans
As mentioned in the introduction, iWeb is solely concerned with premium and/or professional hosting services. Its product range focuses solely on business hosting; more affordable options like shared hosting are provided under other brand names, so they’re not covered in this review.
- The company advertises a set of dedicated server hosting plans that are fairly traditional in terms of specifications. As the price increases, so do the features; top-end plans include unmetered bandwidth. Users can choose cPanel or Plesk and all benefit from a 100% network uptime SLA. Customers on a budget can also investigate the limited-edition Warehouse Clearance area for lower cost options.
- Smart servers are essentially virtual machines, similar to virtual private servers, except that the smart server takes up all of the dedicated server’s resources – not just one slice. They can be deployed more quickly than dedicated servers because they’re hosted in the cloud. Through iWeb, customers can obtain a smart server running Linux or Windows; configuration options are broadly similar to a dedicated server.
Across both types of hosting plans, iWeb guarantees 100% network uptime and offers a money-back guarantee as part of this SLA; should it fail to meet its target, it’ll award clients a credit for one day’s free service for 15 minutes’ downtime, then one day per hour of downtime after that. It also gives customers a 4 hour hardware replacement guarantee.
Customers can check the system status on the iWeb site at any time. No historical data seems to be published, although customers can subscribe via email or RSS to get regular updates.
In terms of network infrastructure, iWeb operates exclusively from Canada. It owns and operates three data centres in Canada – mainly in the Montreal area – and has space in a fourth facility; in total, this provides a huge 90,000 square feet of data centre space.
Detailed information about each facility is available on its website. All are protected with biometric sensors, CCTV and secure access arrangements, while continuity is provided via cooling and air condition, diesel generators and power regulation systems. If you need to know more, iWeb provides three virtual tours on its website. It’s clearly very keen to promote its data centres as a key asset of its service provision.
Support is provided 24/7/365 by iWeb’s in-house team of technical staff. Customers can contact the company by telephone or live chat; support staff provide assistance in English, French and Spanish.
In the Control Center, users can log support tickets and check the status of past requests or incidents. The company also has a knowledgebase that covers an impressive range of topics in a good level of detail, with useful screenshots.
iWeb in the News
I researched iWeb on some of the world’s biggest tech news sites, but I didn’t find any articles about its services or past performance.
iWeb Control Panel
As iWeb’s services are limited to dedicated and smart servers, users aren’t restricted to a particular range of software. Both cPanel and Plesk are offered on dedicated server plans.
On smart servers, customers are provided with a custom control panel, Control Center, which handles the actual server management. Presumably they could also install other control panel tools, although this isn’t mentioned in specifics.
As iWeb concentrates on enterprise hosting, it doesn’t focus on providing free gifts or vouchers to encourage users to sign up. Some special offers are listed on the website, but these generally relate to bandwidth or extra power rather than a free gift like a domain name.
iWeb Money Back Guarantee / Cancellation Policy
All iWeb customers can use its 30-day money-back guarantee to reclaim their fees if they’re not happy. Customers who want to cancel must use the special Account Termination form. The amount of bandwidth used on the account will be measured and a charge will be deducted from the user’s refund.
Cancelling mid-term is also possible; for this, customers need to use the Customer Hub control panel or submit a request in writing, with a signature, by fax. According to the Terms of Service, iWeb may provide a pro-rata refund in the form of an account credit.
With its commitment to enterprise hosting, iWeb is a niche hosting company that presents itself as professional, accomplished and experienced. Its website and tutorial videos have an air of Apple’s web design about them; perhaps iWeb sees itself as a ‘premium’ provider of hosting services and wants to align itself with the same aesthetics. It’s hard to find fault with its web hosting products, although they’re clearly aimed at a very specific type of customer and may not be suitable for every business.
iWeb Reviews by Our Community
Overall Rating from 7 Reviews by iWeb Customers
Most Helpful Reviews
Kit Elliott superaffiliate.com
Jun 18, 2015
Fbio Mazzo fabiomazzo.com
Apr 21, 2014
Zaid Rashwani wewebit.com
Nov 27, 2013
Shivendu Madhava cozli.com
Jul 14, 2012
Daniel Nevo nevostyle.com
Jul 26, 2016
Pawel Wilk fatloud.com
Oct 18, 2015
boby berman sensocrete.com
Apr 23, 2015
Most Popular iWeb Hosting Plans
|Colocation||1GB Cloud Hosting Plan||2GB Cloud Hosting Plan|
|Price||$0 / mo||$169 / mo||$189 / mo|
|Visit iWeb||Visit iWeb||Visit iWeb|
|4GB Cloud Hosting Plan
|50GB||Unlimited||$239 / mo Visit Host|
|6GB Cloud Hosting Plan
|50GB||Unlimited||$289 / mo Visit Host|
|8GB Cloud Hosting Plan
|50GB||Unlimited||$339 / mo Visit Host|
|1TB||Unlimited||$383 / mo Visit Host|
|2TB||Unlimited||$649 / mo Visit Host|
|2TB||Unlimited||$749 / mo Visit Host|
|2TB||Unlimited||$949 / mo Visit Host|
iWeb Frequently Asked Questions
- Do they offer Windows or Linux services?
iWeb offers both Linux and Windows-based servers.
- If I sign up will the price go higher when I go to renew?
There are no surprises to be had here. Prices are consistent.
- I’m looking for dedicated servers with managed services, are they available?
Yes. High-performance dedicated, cloud, managed and colocation servers are iWeb’s specialities. They do not offer shared hosting plans.
- Do I get a free domain name with signup?
No, although their separate, but related company called Funio offers a free domain with their shared web hosting plan.
- Do they provide domain registration services? Do they offer WHOIS domain privacy?
Domain name services are available through Funio, their sister company. Through Funio, you can get WHOIS privacy at a nominal cost.
- Does iWeb have a money back guarantee?
Yes. iWeb offers customers a 30 day money back guarantee.
- I need Virtual Private Server (VPS) services, do they have that?
Yes, iWeb’s Virtual Private Server options known as SmartServers offer true dedicated qualities to customers.
- Do they offer phone support?
iWeb has phone support, available 24 x 7.
- What language is their customer support available in?
The support team provides support in English, French and Spanish.
- Where is this company located?
This Canadian company is based out of the city of Montreal, Quebec.
- Where are iWeb’s datacenters located?
They feature data centers in Montreal, Dallas, Santa Clara, Singapore, and internationally in Amsterdam.
- What programming and scripting languages do they support?
iWeb’s supported programming languages include ASP, ASP.NET, PHP, Perl, Ruby on Rails, and Ruby.
- Do they offer reseller options?
They offer a robust reseller program that has four different levels.
- Does iWeb offer an affiliate program?
Yes. Their well-supported affiliate programs pay participants out quickly.
- Can they help with transferring an existing site to their services?
iWeb does not offer migration services, but they do provide in-depth documentation and tools that help clients migrate their own websites.
- Can I host a WordPress blog on their services?
Yes, iWeb fully supports WordPress.
- Will they allow more than one domain per account on their service?
Since iWeb is mainly in dedicated and managed services, that is entirely up to your requirements.
- Does iWeb include any software so that I can easily build a website?
There is no web site building tool included with their services.
- Are their hosting products secure?
Around the clock monitoring and critical security operations protect their customers.
- Is iWeb suitable for a Prestashop-based website?
Support for PrestaShop installations is strong and all the requirements you need are found on their servers.
- Would I be able to auto-transfer Joomla installs with their services?
They support Joomla installs, and moving sites over to their services is simple with guides and support.
- Is it easy to migrate WordPress installations to iWeb services?
Migrating WordPress is simple with a variety of tools and guidance.
- What features do they offer for e-commerce?
E-commerce site deployments are supported and are complete with features like SSL, shopping carts and more.
- Could I host an image-heavy site with iWeb?
Since they offer dedicated servers, all the available resources you need are available.
- Do they support Magento?
They support Magento installations as you can configure your services as you require.
- Do they provide a control panel?
A customer hosting control panel serves as a hub to a customer’s server health, status, and reporting.
- What payment options does iWeb offer? How about PayPal?
Payment options include all major credit cards, checks, Wire, ACH and PayPal.
- Do they have an uptime guarantee and do they pro-rate for downtime?
Yes. iWeb offers an uptime guarantee with up to 100% credit.
- Are there any special security features that come on their hosting?
They include Firewall, DDoS protection, and other security features with all their products.
- Do they have CDN services available?
CDN services are available and easily integrated with iWeb’s hosting plans.
- Is there a minimum contract or can I get monthly terms?
Monthly, yearly and multi-year contracts are available as you need them.
- Does iWeb offer server backups?
Custom backup plans are available and cloud backups are structured.
- Which of the iWeb services would be suitable to host my five websites?
You can configure any of their systems to easily handle five sites, based on your requirements.
- How many email addresses do they allow and how much storage?
As long as you are within the terms of service, you can configure emails as you require.
- Do they offer unlimited bandwidth and space?
Their cloud services are limited by what you purchase, but are on demand and you only pay for overage.
- Does iWeb offer any discounts for students or non-profits?
No. There are no student or non-profit discounts.
- Can I get Google Adwords credit with my signup?
No, Google AdWords credits are not offered as a sign-up
- I want to run a video streaming site, will iWeb support that?
iWeb’s dedicated servers and Cloud offerings are perfect for video streaming services as they are resource intensive.