Last updated: February 19, 2019
MyHosting In 2019: What Do MyHosting Client Reviews Say?
MyHosting is a Canadian web hosting company which has been providing website hosting services since 1997. It claims to have 50,000 customers in more than 170 countries.
MyHosting is owned by SoftCom Inc, a private company based in Toronto. This parent company also owns Mail2web, a webmail service. Turker Sokullu is co-founder of both SoftCom and MyHosting.
Unlike many low-cost hosts, MyHosting pushes business hosting at the forefront of its portfolio. It offers shared hosting, email-only hosting, domain names, VPS services, and a range of paid and complimentary services that are largely business-focused, such as marketing and apps.
MyHosting Hosting Plans
MyHosting offers a very comprehensive range of website hosting packages, and the website is overflowing with technical details. In the interests of brevity, we’ll just look at the basics.
- Web Hosting packages are split into three plans: Personal Website, Business Hosting and eCommerce hosting. Personal is the most basic plan and is a Linux-only service. Business Hosting is unusual in that users get access to both Windows and Linux servers on the same plan, making it ideal for companies that work cross-platform. Finally, eCommerce Hosting is the same as the Business Hosting plan but includes ecommerce-specific tools, such as shopping carts, your own SSL certificate and optional extra bolt-ons to make your store run smoothly.
- In the VPS section, MyHosting offers a range of plans: Custom VPS, Developer VPS, Business VPS and Reseller VPS. The first two are available on Hyper-V cloud Windows or Linux (the latter with cPanel), whereas Business VPS is split into Linux with Plesk or Windows SharePoint Services cloud hosting. In the Reseller section, users can choose Linux with cPanel or Hyper-V cloud Windows Reseller plans. Be careful when selecting a Linux plan: cPanel and Plesk are chargeable on some of them.
- MyHosting surprisingly doesn’t appear to provide dedicated hosting, but it does offer email hosting, SharePoint hosting and Hosted Exchange.
MyHosting Reviews by Our Community
Overall Rating from 151 Reviews by MyHosting Customers
Most Helpful Reviews
Thom Kime drthom.net
Feb 27, 2014
Brandon Durand vortexborn.com
Jan 23, 2014
Todd Lorentz esoteric-philosophy.net
Oct 08, 2018
Gary Kai Lo patcheslabels.com
Sep 25, 2018
Gregg Seipp ncptboard.org
May 31, 2018
stephen Todd todd.cn
Mar 13, 2018
Rob Horne creekbed.org
Dec 24, 2017
Jan 12, 2018
Eric Brown ericbrowntown.com
Feb 22, 2017
Duane Nickull technoracle.blogspot.com
Jul 23, 2014
MyHosting says it offers a 100% uptime guarantee. While this doesn’t necessarily mean that your website won’t go down, it does ensure you’ll get a day’s free credit for every hour the service is unavailable. The information on service pages conflicts with this and promises 99.9% network uptime. It’s not clear which is true, but it could have an impact on the compensation you receive if you have problems.
Unlike smaller hosts, MyHosting is very forthcoming about its datacenters. It uses two third-party facilities: one in Toronto and one in New York. All datacenters have quad-core Dell servers installed with 16GB RAM and NetApp storage. Buildings are controlled by key card entry, security guards and CCTV, and the network is protected by multiple firewalls, security alerts, scanners, and 24-hour systems monitoring by staff.
In addition, the facilities make use of diesel power generators and UPS boxes, HVAC cooling and environmentally-friendly fire protection which is specifically chosen to reduce the risk of damaging hardware if they are used.
Technical support is available 24/7, all year round. Support is provided by phone, email and live chat at no extra cost to customers.
Help and support is provided through a huge portal. From one page, you can access your account details, contact tech support, discuss issues in communities, read FAQs, check server status pages, read the Wiki, submit suggestions and access the MyHosting blog. I found that technical and help information was very detailed and more than adequate for advanced users.
MyHosting Control Panel
VPS hosting can be purchased with cPanel or Plesk control panels. Shared hosting plans use a proprietary system that integrates your account, hosting, and domain management all in one. This is also available for VPS hosting plans.
As with the rest of MyHosting’s service provision, the range of extra benefits it offers is very detailed and complex.
- On shared hosting plans, you’ll get a free domain name, free Outlook email, $25 in Google Adwords, $25 in Bing/Yahoo! Advertising, ecommerce add-ons, one-click installers and a site builder.
- The Business Hosting plan ups the advertising to a $50 voucher for each site, and the eCommerce plan tops this up to $75 for each site plus specific ecommerce perks.
- One-click installers include WordPress, Joomla, Drupal, Magento ecommerce, phpBB and so on.
- There are no obvious free incentives with VPS plans.
MyHosting Money Back Guarantee / Cancellation Policy
MyHosting offers a 30-day money back guarantee to clients who pay annually in return for a quick email. Refunds exclude things like domain names, penalties for exceeding your allocation and penalties for exceeding bandwidth limits.
The money-back guarantee is not available to plans when the customer is paying monthly, nor when a customer has cancelled their account within 90 days previous to a new claim.
MyHosting does not offer refunds once you’re into your contract term. If you’re unhappy and want to leave, you’re not entitled to any money back.
The first impression of MyHosting is that it’s a solid choice for business and highly technical use. The company has enough plans to cover most business needs, although anyone without prior technical knowledge may find that the sheer amount of technical detail on the site is more than they need to know.
If you’re ready to make the leap from a basic host to a more comprehensive one, MyHosting could be a good option. The money-back policy doesn’t seem to be particularly friendly, forcing users to pay full-term for a service they may wish to leave. Other hosts will allow the term to be cancelled in return for a refund, so this is a potential downside if you’re hesitant about going ahead.
Most Popular MyHosting Plans
|Personal Website Hosting Plan||Business Hosting Plan||Custom Linux|
|Price||$4.95 / mo||$9.95 / mo||$15.95 / mo|
|Visit MyHosting||Visit MyHosting||Visit MyHosting|
|eCommerce Hosting Plan
|Unlimited||Unlimited||$18.95 / mo Visit Host|
|Developer + LAMP
|40MB||600GB||$18.95 / mo Visit Host|
|Business + Plesk
|40MB||600GB||$18.95 / mo Visit Host|
|25GB||300GB||$34.95 / mo Visit Host|
|Developer + .NET
|40GB||600GB||$34.95 / mo Visit Host|
|Business + Plesk Windows
|40GB||600GB||$39.95 / mo Visit Host|
|Reseller + Plesk Windows
|40GB||600GB||$45.95 / mo Visit Host|
|Reseller + cPanel/WHM
|40MB||600GB||$55.75 / mo Visit Host|
|Hyper-V VPS Cloud
|40GB||600GB||$65.25 / mo Visit Host|
MyHosting Frequently Asked Questions
- Where are the MyHosting.com’s datacenters located?
It uses two datacenters; Equinix in Toronto, Canada, and Earthlink inRochester, NY.
- Where is the company located?
MyHosting is headquartered in Toronto, Canada.
- Does MyHosting.com have Windows hosting plans?
MyHosting offers both Windows and Linux hosting. Personal plans are Linux-only, while business and e-commerce plans offer a choice of operating system. VPS plans are also available with Windows or Linux.
- Is a domain included with the purchase of a hosting plan?
Yes. All shared hosting plans include a free domain for a year.
- Does MyHosting offer VPS hosting?
Yes. VPS plans are available with both Linux and Windows operating systems.
- Are renewal prices more than the intro price?
Possibly. On some plans, MyHosting offers discounts if you pay in advance. The company does not guarantee that the same price will be available when it’s time for your renewal.
- Can I host multiple sites or domains on my account?
Yes. MyHosting.com’s shared plans offer the ability to host unlimited websites.
- What satisfaction guarantee is offered?
All plans come with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- What payment options are supported?
Customers can pay via PayPal or major credit card.
- How do I get support?
All hosting customers have access to email support, live chat and 24/7 telephone support. Local numbers are provided for several different countries, but support is only available in English.
- What development languages does MyHosting.com support?
Windows servers support ASP.NET, PHP, Perl, IIS7, Visual Studio, Microsoft SQL, MySQL and PostgreSQL. Linux servers run CentOS and offer PHP 5.5.3.
- What uptime guarantee is provided?
MyHosting.com provides a 100% uptime guarantee on all of its hosting packages. If services do go down, customers are given a 1-to-1 credit.
- What is MyHosting’s backup policy?
All VPS servers are regularly backed up by the MyHosting.com technical team. On shared hosting accounts, backup and retrieval is not provided. In emergency situations, MyHosting may be able to retrieve a backup for a fee, but it’s best not to rely on this.
- Is bandwidth and storage unlimited?
MyHosting.com offers unlimited disk space and unlimited data transfer on shared hosting plans.
- What control panels are offered?
VPS servers are provisioned with WHM/ cPanel or Plesk. Shared hosting accounts have a proprietary control panel.
- Does MyHosting.com provide discounted plans for schools and non-profits?
Non-profits, educational organizations, and some government organizations can apply for free web hosting.
- How many email addresses are provided?
Email accounts range from 10 to 50 per package, depending on the selected plan. Shared hosting plans offer unlimited disk space. With email-only plans, space allocation ranges from 1GB to 4GB per account.
- Can I stream video and audio from my website?
Streaming is disabled on shared hosting plans, due to their limited resources. However, both Windows and Linux VPS plans offer media streaming capabilities.
- Does MyHosting.com have a sitebuilder?
Yes. All hosting plans come with a site builder with hundreds of templates to make creating a website easy for individuals of all skill levels. Personal plans include the capacity for one sitebuilder website, while business plans come with two. E-commerce plans include capacity for three sites. You can add more for a small fee.
- What security measures are offered?
HackerWise, StopTheHacker, and SiteLock are available.