Yahoo! Web Hosting Review: Should You Choose This Web 1.0 Company?
Is Yahoo Hosting Right for You?
Yahoo Small Business is a large provider of shared web hosting solutions aimed at small businesses and individual customers looking to get started in the world of e-commerce.
Yahoo Small Business (previously known as Aabaco) isn’t as well-known as some of its competitors, but it still powers a fair share of the websites on the internet. Currently, the company offers three lines of products: websites, web hosting, and e-commerce.
- Quick Start-Up Time: with Yahoo Small Business, you can publish your website in less than 30 minutes
- Focused on e-commerce: while individuals are welcome to host their websites with Yahoo Small Business, the plans available are tailored to those looking to launch an online store and therefore include the features needed by such sites, including product display features and support for payment processing and transactions
- Focus on locality: Yahoo’s hosting plans come with marketing tools that help you market to those local to you, which is a boon if you have a brick-and-mortar store for which you’re creating a digital presence.
Product Lines Offering Solutions for Everybody
Before you can choose a web hosting plan, you’ll need to decide which of Yahoo Small Business’ product lines best suits your needs:
|E-commerce||Those looking to build a full-featured website with complete e-commerce features|
|Web Hosting||Those looking for flexible, inexpensive web hosting for their websites|
|Websites||Those looking for an all-in-one website solution|
Your website, you first impression
The Websites product includes solid, basic plans for those who want to get up and running with a website with as little hassle as possible. All you have to do is:
- Choose a theme (of which there are over 150 options from which you can choose)
- Edit your written content
- Populate the template with your images
- Adjust your layout (if desired)
- Preview your work
- Publish your changes.
You can think of this offering as an equivalent to all-in-one site building tools. The features that are available to you, such as image galleries and support for media, are built into the templates — what you see is what you get, essentially.
The Websites plans all come with unlimited bandwidth, but you are somewhat limited when it comes to disk space. The plans (of which there are three) each offer a different allocation, but if you think that you might grow your website in the future to support lots of high-resolution images, audio, and video, you might consider looking elsewhere since you’ll likely max out your storage space quickly.
Yahoo’s Web Hosting option is most similar to the shared hosting plans offered by other providers. In addition to the server resource allocations, you’ll get features like access to templates to help you create your website. If you opt for one of the higher-end plans, you’ll also get support for third-party design and development tools. This support is nice for customers who want to extend the functionality and feature set of their website.
Unlike Yahoo’s other two product lines, the Web Hosting plans may come with limits on your bandwidth and disk space use — unless you purchase the top-tier plan, you will not get unlimited disk space or unlimited bandwidth.
Yahoo claims that it’s web hosting offers a 99.9% uptime, and because your website is backed up to multiple data centers, the likelihood of your website seeing downtime is low. Yahoo’s datacenters utilize Unix operating systems and Apache web servers.
$70 Billion and counting in sales for retailers
While Yahoo’s Websites and Web Hosting options are aimed at small businesses in general, its e-commerce options are geared toward a subset of this group: those looking to create an online store.
The e-commerce plans get you features like a site builder featuring the best, most impressive-looking templates available. More importantly, however, is the support you get for product displays, integrations with shipping companies like FedEx and UPS, and ability to handle shopping carts and payments.
Furthermore, these plans come with easy scalability. You can purchase the resources to ensure that your website stays online even during peak shopping periods, such as the weeks leading up to year-end holidays. Yahoo boasts that websites using this product have seen 100% uptime during the holiday season over the past five years).
E-commerce plans all come with unlimited bandwidth and unlimited disk space. The latter is especially important since product pages and other media used to sell your goods can easily eat up a fair amount of your available storage space.
Many other web hosts offer a branded control panel (the most popular option is either the cPanel or some variant of it) to make it easy for you to manage your websites. Yahoo Small Business does offer dedicated control panels for you to use, but its offering is proprietary, and if you’re coming from another web hosting provider, you may have to reacquaint yourself with how you manage things when using Yahoo.
Yahoo Mail for business you will love!
One of Yahoo’s most well-known products is its email offerings. If you need company-branded email addresses, Yahoo offers this as a stand-alone product.
Upgrading Your Hosting Plan
Yahoo Small Business only offers one type of web hosting: shared. Sure, you can choose from three different lines of products (each of which provides multiple plans featuring varying allocations of resources), but in the end, you don’t have the option of upgrading to a VPS or dedicated hosting plan without changing your web host provider.
We do want to note, however, that customers using the e-commerce line of products have the option of scaling up their resource allocations, especially in times of peak traffic.
Using the Control Panels and Managing Your Websites
Immediately after logging in to your account, you’ll be redirected to the MyServices page. This is where you’ll be able to access the following control panels:
- Web hosting
- Access manager.
We can’t quite tell which brand of control panel Yahoo Small Business is using, but if you’ve used shared hosting before, you’ll be comfortable with the layout.
While it’s helpful that Yahoo Small Business has divided up functionality across four different control panels, the control panels themselves could use a facelift — the UI looks as if it hasn’t been updated for a long time.
Regardless, everything is intuitive, so you should be able to manage your website with ease, even if you’ve never created a website before.
In addition to accessing the control panels, the My Services page is where you would go if you’d like to purchase add-ons, such as Merchant Services, additional domain names, and business email addresses.
Migrating to Yahoo
If you have an existing website that you would like to migrate to Yahoo Small Business, you will need to do so by moving your files over yourself — none of the hosting plans come with migration assistance. You can transfer your domain from another provider, and how you can do this is well-documented in the knowledgebase.
Yahoo Small Business does not currently offer any type of assistance with migrating your website elsewhere. If you build your website with any of Yahoo’s themes, you won’t be able to move it to another host. You can, however, migrate the content of your email inboxes and transfer your domain name elsewhere as long as you’ve owned the domain name for at least 60 days.
Welcome to the Yahoo Small Business Community
Need help? Yahoo Small Business maintains a robust knowledgebase. Navigating around the knowledgebase isn’t the easiest thing to do, however, so we recommend you search for the resources that may be of interest to you.
To get in touch with the technical support team (which is available to help you 24/7), simply open a ticket requesting assistance from your control panel.
First, you’ll need to be signed in to your account. You’ll select the product for which you have a question, and then you’ll go through a wizard that prompts you for additional information about your question.
Finally, once you’ve provided the requested information, you can choose to talk to the Yahoo team via live chat, telephone, or messaging using Yahoo’s request for support ticketing system.
Yahoo Small Business does not offer any type of money-back guarantees or refunds. You may cancel your account at any time (and depending on the circumstances under which you cancel, you may be required to pay an early termination fee), but you’re responsible for any fees up until the date when your contract expires.
If You Like This Host, Also Look At…
iPage is another hosting provider offering comprehensive shared hosting plans at low prices. This might be a good option if the instability of Yahoo makes you a bit nervous.
FatCow is also a provider of comprehensive, shared hosting. The company has been in business since 1999, and it aims to provide top-notch customer service and transparency when working with its customers.
BlueHost is known for its WordPress-specific hosting options, but its plans can certainly be used by those who didn’t use WordPress to build their sites. BlueHost prides itself on ease of use and simplicity, but the biggest perk might be the fact that it offers a variety of hosting types. If you need to upgrade from shared hosting to VPS/dedicated hosting, you can do so without changing providers.
What’s the difference between Yahoo Small Business, Aabaco Small Business, and Yahoo Aabaco Small Business?
Nothing. As Yahoo underwent turbulent times in the previous years, the Yahoo Small Business product was to be sold to Aabaco Holdings. However, the transaction never went through. Despite this, Yahoo Small Business has been branded with multiple names over the years, which you’ll see reflected on the company’s website, terms of service, help pages, and so on.
Does Yahoo Small Business offer any type of advanced hosting (such as VPS options or dedicated servers)?
No, Yahoo Small Business only offers shared hosting plans.
Does Yahoo Small Business offer any type of uptime guarantees?
No, Yahoo Small Business makes claims about its uptime based on past performance, but if the company fails to meet these expectations, they do not offer any type of compensation.
Uptime and Response Time
Using Pingdom, we gathered the following statistics over the past six months:
- Downtime: 2 hours and 47 minutes
- Number of Outages: 103
- Uptime: 99.94%
- Average Response Time: 950 ms.
However, this is an aggregate measure, and per Yahoo Small Business, its top-tier e-commerce plans offer additional scalability to ensure even better uptime (this is especially important during busy shopping seasons like the holidays).
Yahoo Quick Overview
Here is a simple list of what you need to know about hosting with Yahoo.
- Quick Start-Up Time
- Focus on e-commerce
- Focus on locality.
Plans starting at…
Included with all packages
Pros and Cons of Yahoo
No host is perfect. Here are the pros and cons of selecting Yahoo as your web hosting provider.
- Small business oriented: while individuals may certainly use Yahoo Small Business to host their websites, the products offered are aimed at small businesses, which means that your plan will come with features not typically offered to general users
- One-stop shop: get everything you need to manage your website and online store, including site builders, web hosting, email, domain names, and local marketing
- PCI compliant: it can be difficult to find a shared hosting provider that is PCI compliant, but Yahoo’s Merchant Solutions offering is.
- Frequent changes in management: while this host is branded as Yahoo’s logo, there’s some uncertainty with the management, since this business keeps getting sold (or put on the market and then removed)
- Control panels could be designed better: four different control panels, each maintaining its own set of functionality makes for cleaner user interfaces, but everything could use a facelift — The UX looks quite dated, and things might not be where you intuitively expect them to be
- Certain options can be expensive: while all offerings are geared toward small businesses, the expressly e-commerce solutions are noticeably more expensive that the other plans — these plans also levy transaction fees on you based on the number of items you sell in your shop.
Room for Improvement
No host is perfect, and Yahoo Small Business isn’t the exception. Here are some areas we think Yahoo could do better:
Fix Inconsistencies in the Documentation
Yahoo’s terms of service (TOS) state that you can cancel at any time, though you might be assessed an early termination fee (though the TOS never makes clear when this fee might be levied).
Its support documentation, however, indicates that you will not receive a refund for any purchases you make, but it does not mention anything about early termination fees.
These statements aren’t mutually exclusive, but it would be nice to have a clear statement that includes all facts available to us.
Revamp the Control Panels
The control panels for managing your website are functional, but there have been lots of advances in UI/UX studies that Yahoo should consider to make their products even easier to use for its customers.
Currently, Yahoo Small Business doesn’t offer any Service Level Agreements (SLA) or uptime guarantees (which is common practice among those who offer shared hosting services), but if we were running a mission-critical site, we’d be wary.
This is especially the case if we opted for one of the e-commerce products, which costs as much as some VPS plans offered by other companies.
Is Yahoo Small Business Right for You?
If you’re looking to get up and running with a simple website, you can’t go wrong with Yahoo as your business web host: you’ll get all the features you need to design your site, as well as the infrastructure needed to keep it online as often as possible.
However, if you’re running a mission-critical site (and we consider online stores to fall under this category), Yahoo might not be the best option for you, especially given its lack of SLA/uptime guarantee.
Looks like we don’t have any reviews for Yahoo! Web Hosting yet.
Yahoo! Web Hosting Frequently Asked Questions
- Are Linux and Windows hosting available on Yahoo Web Services?
Yahoo’s Web Hosting service only offers Linux-based hosting services.
- Will my renewal price be higher than the intro price?
Most of their introductory prices are introductory and will increase upon renewal.
- Can I get managed or dedicated servers at Yahoo! Web Hosting?
Yahoo Web Hosting only provides shared hosting services, with three options to choose from.
- Do I get a free domain with my hosting plan?
A free domain is included with each of their hosting options. Additional domains can be bought for a fee.
- Are domain registration services available and how much do they cost?
Yes, Yahoo offers domain registration services. Whois protection for domain names is available separately and it will cost about $10/year. Their top plan however, does include this for free.
- Does Yahoo! Web Hosting have a money back guarantee?
A 30 day satisfaction guarantee on their hosting services is standard on all their plans.
- Are Virtual Private Server (VPS) services available at Yahoo! Web Hosting?
Yahoo Web Hosting only offers shared hosting plans.
- Is phone support available?
They offer their customers 24×7 phone and email support.
- What language is their customer support available in?
Although many languages are available throughout their products, their support is only available in English.
- Where are they located?
Yahoo! Web Hosting is a service of Yahoo, which is a multi-national corporation based in Sunnyvale, CA.
- Where are their datacenters?
Yahoo has datacenters around the world in many countries where these services could be located.
- What Programming Languages are supported?
PHP and Perl are supported programming languages on Yahoo’s hosting plans.
- Do I have reseller options with them?
Yahoo’s services are focused on business users and they do not provide reseller services.
- Is there an affiliate program that I can sign up for?
They offer a progressively increasing commission through their affiliate program.
- Is help available for transferring an existing site/domain name?
Yahoo offers tutorials and online documents to help users move their sites, but there is no specific service that does this.
- Can I host WordPress on their services?
WordPress sites are easily deployed on their hosting plans.
- Does Yahoo! Web Hosting allow more than one domain per account?
You can host up to 101 domains on their basic service and up to 501 domains on their upgrade plans.
- Does Yahoo! Web Hosting have software available to help build a website easily?
Yahoo offers their own wizard-based site building tool designed for fast, easy site design.
- Are Yahoo! Web Hosting’s hosting products secure?
Yahoo’s website hosting services are secured by many of the same systems that protect their legendary enterprise-grade portal and search engine pages.
- Is Yahoo! Web Hosting suitable for a Prestashop installation?
Prestashop is not specifically supported, but customers do install it on their plans.
- Can I auto transfer Joomla installs with Yahoo! Web Hosting services?
Joomla can be installed on their web hosting services, but it is not specifically supported.
- Is it easy to migrate WordPress installations to Yahoo! Web Hosting services?
Users have the option to move their WordPress files over to Yahoo’s services.
- Are their services suitable for an e-commerce site with features like SSL?
Yahoo has its own e-commerce platform with SSL support. This platform allows front-end user configurations.
- Is it possible to host an image-heavy site on this service?
Yahoo only offers unlimited disk and bandwidth with their premier plan.
- Does Yahoo! Web Hosting support Magento help migrate existing installations?
Magento is not supported by Yahoo Web Hosting.
- What kind of control panel will I get with my service?
Yahoo utilizes their own control panel with their hosting services.
- What payment options does Yahoo! Web Hosting offer like PayPal, Visa, etc.?
They accept all major credit cards such as MasterCard, Visa, American Express, and Discover. They also accept PayPal.
- Do they have an uptime guarantee and will they pro-rate for downtime?
With a 99.9% uptime guarantee, credit on services can be issued.
- Can I get any special security features with my service?
There are no additional security services available, other than an optional SSL certificate.
- Any CDN services available with my service?
CDN services are not specifically offered, but given Yahoo’s network capabilities, content delivery shouldn’t be a concern.
- Does Yahoo! Web Hosting have monthly services or is there a minimum contract?
Monthly terms are available. There are no required contracts, but yearly plans of 1, 3, and 5 years will bring the overall price down.
- What is the backup policy at Yahoo! Web Hosting?
Basic plans do not have any included backups. The next two plans offer snapshot backups that are available for 30 days.
- Which package is most appropriate for my five websites?
Advanced and Premier plans support up to 501 subdomains, Basic allows 101.
- How many email addresses are supported by Yahoo! Web Hosting and how much storage do they allow for email?
They offer 250, 500, and 100 email addresses on their plans, respective to their hosting plan tiers. 100 GB, 500 GB, and unlimited space for each of their service plans applies to email space as well.
- Do I get unlimited bandwidth and space at Yahoo! Web Hosting?
The Premier hosting package allows for unlimited disk and bandwidth.
- Are any discounts available for students non-profits or schools?
A number of promotions are usually available, including those aimed at students, schools, and non-profit organizations.
- Does Yahoo! Web Hosting provide any ad networks credit with signups?
$100 in Yahoo advertising credit is available with every plan.
- Is there a plan that is suitable for video streaming?
It is not recommended to stream video from any shared services provider. Yahoo does not support this specifically and you would likely find yourself outside their acceptable terms of service.